6th Grade - Science
How exciting! A New Year, A New School! I have been entrusted with the pleasure of being your child’s 6th grade science teacher for this year and am looking forward to working with each of you to bring the amazing world of Science alive and right in front of you!
This handout will help you understand the procedures and curriculum that will be guiding us, in 6th grade science. Please review it and keep it for your binders.
Students in 6th grade will be learning the Integrated Model as designed and adopted by California Deptartment of Education in the Next Generation Science Standards. Beginning at 6th grade, as the first year of implementation, followed by next year, in 7th grade, and 8th grade, the year after that. What does the Integrated Model mean for you and your learning?
We will be exploring several sciences, instead of just Earth Science. We will have a unit from Physical Science, focus: Energy. Earth Science, focus: Weather and Climate. and Life Science focus: Cells to Organisms. In addition, STEM concepts will be interwoven into the curriculum, as well as “Crosscutting Concepts” of Patterns, System and System Models, and Structure and Function. We will have a year long project (Project Based Learning) called Our Piece of Earth, which will highlight changes all around us, a also a Science Fair.
All students must have the following materials for class:
- Writing materials: pencil, eraser and lined paper (all assignments are to be completed in pencil).
- Scissors, colored pencils, glue and markers are supplies that we will be using. If your child would like to have their own, they are welcomed to supply there own, as I do not have enough supplies for each child to have their own….in other words, they have to share.
- We school district will supply the first spiral bound science notebook for your child.
If you would like to donate any supplies… all will be welcomed!
YEAR LONG….Glue sticks are always in great need!
As last year, the science dept at Riverside will be implementing a “flipped classroom”. Details about the structure of the classroom will be reviewed at Back to School Night. Keeping this in mind, all students will be required to access the Internet to complete homework. This access can be done via a computer, Ipad, Chromebook or phone. If Internet access is unavailable, students are able to access through the school computers before or after school (with arrangement), during break and lunchtime, and/or during Homework Club after school. Homework will include learning information about a concept, taking notes, developing questions, prepare for investigative activities and projects. Activities assigned will have a due date, mostly one or two days later, depending on the activity. Upon returning to school the next day, the information will be used for a follow up activities. Therefore, it is imperative that students complete homework as assigned.
- Homework will be assigned on most days, and students will nearly always have an opportunity to begin, if not complete it in class. If all work isn’t completed during the class period, homework will usually take 20 minutes or less, to complete.
- Homework is to be turned in completed on the due date in the assigned “turn in basket”, marked by the student’s period. Early completed work is always accepted Incomplete work will not be accepted and promptly returned to the student for completion.
- I will accept late work under the following conditions, and to my discretion only:
- 1 day late: receive 80% credit
- 2 days or more late 50% credit credit earned, and only accepted within the time that the concept or chapter is being studied.
- Homework assignments will be listed daily on the whiteboard, and students are responsible to copy the information into their planners daily.
- My website: http://hanansearth-6thgrade.weebly.com
- My REMIND code is: @scihanan
- Students will be required to complete their planners/agendas in class daily
Grades and Graded Assignments::
Projects and Investigations:
- Variety is based on concept being taught. May include posters, scientific drawings, inquiry investigations, in-class activities, group work and units.
- May be graded by points, credit/no credit based on participation
- Emphasize communication, problem solving, critical thinking and discussion/discourse.
- Are based on points earned in activities, participation, effort and project completion.
- Grades Scale for 6th grade is:
- Formal assessment (tests) will be given on occasion and with one week’s notice.
- Be Safe
- Be Respectful
- Be Productive
- Be Patient
- Have fun!!!
I have an open door policy, so If you have any questions, please come visit or send a quick email. We can also set up an appointment for more in-depth conversation. I can be reached by phone, email, REMIND or my website, using the contact information above. II am able to answer most inquiries by the end of the day, or by the next morning.
I look forward to learning with you!